PLASTIC EPR AUTHORIZATION
The Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016, mandate the generators of plastic waste to take steps to minimize generation of plastic waste, not to litter the plastic waste, ensure segregated storage of waste at source and hand over segregated waste in accordance with rules. The Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016 cast Extended Producer Responsibility on Producer, Importer, and Brand Owner. Extended Producer Responsibility shall be applicable to both pre-consumer and post-consumer plastic packaging waste.
Plastic Waste Management (PWM): -
Plastic Waste Management means the collection, Storage, transportation, reduction, re-use, recovery, recycling, composting or disposal of plastic waste in and environmentally safe manner.
1. Pre-Consumer Plastic Packaging waste means plastic packaging waste generated in the form of reject or discard at the stage of manufacturing of plastic packaging waste generated during the packaging of product including reject, discard, before the plastic packaging reaches the end-use consumer of the product.
2. Post-Consumer Plastic Packaging waste means plastic packaging waste generated by the end use consumer after the intended use of packaging is completed and is no longer being used for its intended purpose.
Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR): -
EPR means the responsibility of a producer for the environmentally sound management of the product until the end of its life. End of life disposal means using plastic waste for generation of energy and includes co-processing or waste to oil or for road construction.
Plastic Waste (PW) EPR Applicability: -
PIBO’s are covered under the EPR Obligation and Provision of the Plastic Waste Management Rules 2016 and its amendments.
PIBO’s: - Producer, Importer & Brand Owner.
1. Producer (P) means person engaged in manufacturing or import of carry bags, multi-layered packaging, Plastic Sheet or like, and includes industries or individuals using plastic sheets or like or covers made of plastic sheets or multi-layered packaging for packaging or wrapping the commodities.
2. Importer (I) means a person who imports plastic packaging products or products with plastic packaging or carry bags or multi-layered packaging or plastic sheets or like.
3. Brand Owners (BO) means a person or company who sells any commodities under a registered brand, label or trademark.